1. What does your dream kitchen look like?
2. How much of your dream kitchen can you afford?
A basic kitchen upgrade
A midsized renovation
A major remodel
A minor kitchen remodel has a cost-value ratio of 75.4%; a major kitchen remodel has a cost-value ratio of 68.9%
3. Do you have to hire a professional?
While most homeowners can do minor improvementsthemselves, it’s often best to leave the bigger jobs to the professionals.
3 Ways to Make Your Kitchen Greener
For greener cabinets:
- Choose adhesives or glues that have no- or low-Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) and formaldehyde-free.
- Refinish cabinets with no- or low-VOC, water-based paints and stains.
- If you use reclaimed wood, find out where the wood came from. Old wood may contain toxic chemicals.
For greener countertops:
- Look for countertops that are made from recycled or sustainable materials.
- Avoid using formaldehyde-based glues and adhesives during installation.
- Seal stone with water-based, low-odor sealant.
For greener flooring:
- Traditional linoleum is durable and easy to maintain.
- Cork is another green option, but make sure that you use cork that was manufactured in Spain and Portugal, where environmental and health regulations are stricter than in other foreign countries.
- Bamboo is a great choice. Just make sure it wasn't make with formaldehyde-based binders.