Homeward Bound March 2019
Spring is Springing
Almost, anyway! While you can't quite see it yet, you can definitely feel it. The air is a little warmer, the sky is a little brighter (thanks, daylight savings), and the snow is a little...meltier?
It seems like most of the city is coming out of hibernation after surviving the February deep freeze. The pathways are bustling and we bet we see a few patios open their doors for those nice days when we can pretend summer is here. Take advantage of that burst of spring fever energy to start working on your outdoor space now, so you can relax an enjoy it later. There are so many hacks for creating a beautiful, low-maintenace yard without a hefty price tag.
Cost Saving Tips For Your Outdoor Reno
Plan Ahead -
- Choose the items that fit your current budget
- Leave space in your design to add future improvements so you don't have to tear anything out to upgrade later
- Reserve plants, furniture and landscape items that can be reused
Shop Smart -
- Check out Facebook and Kijiji for cheap or free items
- Shop end of season clearance sales
- Buy young plants or seeds and grow them inside until it's planting time
- Ask friends or family if they have outdoor items they are looking to get rid of
Save Money, And Work -
- Opt for wider spacing of stones and fill gaps with gravel or mulch
- Use concrete pavers and bulk gravel to reduce costs
- Contact local suppliers for extras, offshoots, and overages of brick, stone and sod
- Get friends or neighbours to split bulk items
Plant Power -
- Find out which plants will thrive in your yard’s micro-climate
- Choose perennials over annuals
- Opt for plants that spread quickly if you want to fill a large space
- Choose varietals that match your gardening style
Fully Furnished -
- Find garage sales, or shop Facebook or Kijiji for cheap items
- Look for durable indoor furniture that could go outside
- Use chalk paint for a low cost upgrade
- Mix and match for a cheerful, eclectic vibe
Finishing Touches -
- Edging along pathways is a low cost way to get a clean fresh look
- Use detail items like large stones or fence sections selectively
- Recover old patio cushions to refresh your furniture
Congratulations to our neighbours and friends, Allan and Wendy
Though their current home was only on the market for 34 days, it was a roller coaster of a process as they waited to be able to say yes to their new purchase. Their composure and diligence paid off, and we are looking forward to welcoming them to their new home later this month.
We’ll miss seeing you in the neighbourhood, and we wish you all the best in your new home!
Average days on market is high at 72.8 days
The recent deep freeze affected market activity, and buyers are now coming back out for spring
Benchmark prices are down 5% from this time last year
Initial pricing trends are clear. The longer a home is on the market, the lower the sale price, with the biggest drops happening in the first 30 days!
Buyers are biding their time waiting for price reductions, and many are making low offers on homes that have been on the market a while as they hunt for deals
Sellers may still see a spring purchasing frenzy, but should be prepared to assess and adjust market positioning and price quickly to capture a spring sale
We hope you’ll be able to join us for our annual Neighbour’s Day Block Party on Saturday, June 15th. Save the date!
March Preferred Partner
It’s never too early for spring cleaning! Not sure where to start? Give our friends at DeClutter SOS a call to de-clutter, downsize, and de-stress your life! No matter the size of your project, DeClutter SOS can help you get started, manage the process, and even take over the work for you. Make this spring your lightest, cleanest, and most organized ever.
The Truth About Our Guaranteed Sale Program, And How It Works
We get asked alot about our Guaranteed Sale Program. Essentially, if you trade up to one of our listings, we will write you a written guaranteed offer on your home to free you up to purchase your next one. Check out the end of the video at the top of the page for the full details.
Your Referrals Help People Living With Juvenile Diabetes
For every referral we receive, we donate $100 to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Learn more here
Have a fantastic March, and we'll chat in April!