How to Host the Perfect Virtual Gathering
Need a little social interaction during self-isolation? The digital world makes it easy to host a gathering where nobody has to leave their home. Here is how to throw your own virtual party!
Set a Date
The days are still busy, even with everyone at home! Go for an evening or a weekend, and be sure to specify an end time so guests know how long to plan for.
Send An Invitation
Send out your invites just like you would for an in-person party, Facebook Messenger, Direct Messenger for Instagram, email or a text message. Make sure to specify how guests can join the call, and provide the access link if you have it.
Pick the group video conferencing platform that best fits the needs of you and your friends:
- Zoom, Skype and Google Hangouts - Are most convenient for big groups.
- Group FaceTime calls work well for smaller parties of all iOS and Mac users Houseparty requires all guests to be “friends” on the app in order to make a call. The platform also offers built-in games.
- Facebook Messenger also has a video chat option, but all guests must be in a group message first.
- Halloween in Quarantine - Encourage everyone to dress up for some online tricks and treats.
- Ice Cream Dream - Have your guests craft their perfect sundae.
- It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere - Make it a virtual happy hour!
Make it Interactive
- Check out the Jackbox Party Pack for a variety of creative online games.
- Play classic games online like Scrabble, Uno and Monopoly.
- Watch a movie with friends using apps like Netflix Party and Kast. Live chat your group while streaming your favorite shows and movies.
To avoid shadows, face your webcam away from windows. You could also consider a virtual background depending on the platform you use.If everyone agrees, record the video chat within the platform or through a screen recording app. Send it to your guests after or edit it into a party highlights reel to look back on the lighter moments of this unique self-isolation experience.